CARNEDDAU EVENTS, LLANFAIRFECHAN.
CARNEDDAU SEA TO SUMMIT 20.2 KM, 12.6 MILES, JUST UNDER HALF MARATHON DISTANCE.
SUNDAY / May 2020 @ 9.30AM
Starting from Llanfairfechan the Gateway to Snowdonia.
The Carneddau Sea to Summit half marathon mountain trail race, will truly be a stunning and very challenging course.
Runners will start the race from Beach Pavillion Cafe, Llanfairfechan promenade. Then will follow the promenade alongside the beach, keeping to the right side of the yachting pond pointing towards Bangor. Follow the Promenade all along until you come to the nature reserve, from the nature reserve path you will be directed again by marshals to follow the beautiful North Wales Coastal path, running alongside the sea, this trail track will most certainly take your breath away, with mountain views, Drum summit to your left, and Anglesey to your right. The coastal trail path running section will come to an end when you hit the bottom (Aber) car park, here you will have your first water station and wrist chip timing 5.5km mark, from this point you start your accent up to the Summit. The first section will be a short run following a tarmac road, up towards Aber village, (be careful to stay on the left hand side, even though marshals will be at the top of the road warning any drivers that might come down the quiet country lane). The Aber road climb will go under the A55 flyover, and then into Aber Village itself, running through the village up towards the first car park for the famous Abergwyngregyn waterfall, a marshal will direct you over a small bridge keeping to the left , then you will hit the steep section and the last leg of the tarmac climb. At the very top car park you will be greeted again by warm smiles from our marshals, who will have a full re-fuelling station and another wrist chip timing point.
From here onward you will be on stunning Mountain trail tracks, following the Old Roman road towards the foot of the Drum Summit climb. The climb will be 2480 ft. above sea level, at the Summit you will have your third wrist check point, once at the top you will make a quick turn around down, taking in again the most stunning mountain views. Be careful coming down as you will be passing other runners making the climb up to the Summit, the descend down will take you over another mountain Garreg Fawr, please keep to left hand side of Garreg Fawr following the large stone wall, once at the bottom you will come on to Terrace Walk Road, take the left turn directed by the marshal and follow the signs to the finish line, back to the race HQ, at Llanfairfechan Industrial Park, opposite the Golf course where you will pass family , friends and locals from the Town, cheering you on to the finish.
The race will be fully signed and marshalled.
Location: Llanfairfechan Industrial Estate, Llanfairfechan, Conwy, North Wales.
Race Starting Point: Beach Pavillion Cafe LL330BY.
Race Finnish: Llanfairfechan Industrial Estate LL330EB.
Total Course Distance: 20.2 km - 12.2 Miles
Elevation Gain: 2480 ft.
Aid Stations: 3 - All with water, and at the half way checkpoint there will be food and tonic re-fuelling water, however you are advised to carry your own water and gels.
Wristband Timing Points: There will be 5 split times at different checkpoints along the course.
You must be over 18 years of age on the day of the race to enter the event.
Entry Price: £22 / Affiliated Club: £20
Entry Fee Includes:
- Event Number & Tracking / Timing Wristband will be supplied.
- 5 Race timings points.
- Fuel and hydration points along race.
- Post-event refreshments.
- Bespoke Drinking Bottle.
- Prizes 1st, 2nd, 3rd Male and Female.
- A race number for the run will be supplied, and wristband tracking/timing.
- The race number must be visible on the front at all times during the event.
- Windproof or waterproof jacket (with integrated hood), hat, gloves, whistle, emergency food ( gels).
- Mobile phone.
- GPS tracking device - sports watch.
- Off road trail running shoes – if wet the course can be very slippery & treacherous.
- Hydration pack, soft bottle or cup. The run event will be plastic cup free in a bid to reduce waste and help care for the environment.
- Water within paper cups will be supplied at all stations, and tonic fuelling water / bananas/ jelly babies at the half way point on the course.
- Registration: NOTE ONLINE ENTRY WILL CLOSE SATURDAY MAY, AT 12pm. (There will be some entries available on the day)
- Registration for race bibs will be open between 7.30am until 9.00am Sunday May, 2020, at the beach Pavillion Cafe, Promenade, Llanfairfechan Beach Front, Conwy, North Wales. Please arrive as early as possible and ensure you have your mandatory equipment with you. You will be issued with your race number and wrist tracking / timing during registration. Registration closes at 9.00 am.
- Event schedule
- 07-30 am - 09:00 am registration
- 09:10 am - Compulsory race brief
- 09.20 am - Race start checkpoint (all runners must be wearing their wristband tracking/timing)
- 09:30 am - Race start
- 12.00 pm - Expected first finisher
- 13.30 pm - Expected last finisher
- 13.00 pm - Carneddau Sea to Summit prize giving.
- Parking & Toilet Facilities:
- There will be plenty of parking at the beach front around the beach pavillion cafe, and some parking provided on the Industrial Park (race finishing point), also at the Golf Course opposite. Please do not park on the roads in the village, and around the housing estate near the race village (finishing point). Toilets available at registration inside the Pavillion Cafe, where you can also get tea and coffee, breakfast or lunch.
- Travel: From the A55 past Conwy, 6 miles further along you will see the first roundabout signed Llanfairfechan, come into the town, turn right at the traffic lights, down towards the beach pavillion cafe LL330BY. Coming along the A55 from Anglesey or Caernarfon, take the first turning signed Llanfairfechan follow the Bangor road into the Town, at the traffic lights junction take the left turn down towards the beach front Llanfairfechan.
- Spectator info: Spectators are welcome at Carneddau events. Please park considerately and stick to public footpaths! There are plenty of good spots along the route from which to support your friends or family and plenty of view points to enjoy the race from. If you take any photos or video footage of the event we would love to see them. If you are interested in getting involved as a volunteer on the day, please get in touch.